How artist Purple Faye made the original ‘Charmander’, ‘Bulbasaur’ and ‘Squirtle’ Pokemon inspired 3D acrylic paintings

Continuing on from when I made the original ‘Pikachu’ and ‘Eevee’ Pokemon inspired 3D acrylic paintings, here, I decided to make some more and it made sense to me that the next ones should be the starter Pokemon from the first generation. So here is how I made ‘Charmander’, Bulbasaur’ and ‘Squirtle’

If you’d like to make your own I have kits available for only £5 and £10 here

Charmander here, Bulbasaur here, Squirtle here.

Here’s how I made them:

I started by drawing the design directly onto the cardboard, I then cut the cardboard out and made it into 3D layers. Once these had been stuck onto the blank canvases I covered each one in modroc(bandages with plaster of Paris in them) and painted with acrylic paints when the modroc was dry.

Here’s a more in depth look at each one, which you can use to help you when you’re making your own with one of my kits. Charmander Kit, Bulbasaur Kit, Squirtle Kit.

Charmander Kit, Bulbasaur Kit, Squirtle Kit.

If you need any more help or have any questions get in touch

All of the originals are available for sale, ‘Charmander’ found his forever home at Christmas but ‘Bulbasaur’ and ‘Squirtle’ are still looking for theirs, only £50 each.

Plus I have cards available too for only £2

Shop Now

 

Till next time,

Take care.

Purple Faye x

purplefaye.co.uk

How artist Purple Faye made the ‘Medium Daffodil’ 3D acrylic painting

Here’s how I made my ‘Medium Daffodil’ 3D acrylic painting. (I also made the ‘Smaller Daffodil’ at the same time as I made this, which you can see the making of in a separate blog post here.)

I started by getting a cardboard box and cutting out a piece that was roughly the same size as the blank canvas I was going to use. I then drew the daffodil design freehand onto the cardboard, using some photographs as a reference.

Once the drawing was complete I cut out all along the outside of the main daffodil shape and all around the head of the flower. I then placed the stem shape onto the blank canvas and laid the flower head shape on top of it so that the two overlapped. I created a more 3D effect by wedging some offcuts of cardboard underneath one side of the flower head shape and made a ring shape to go in the middle of the flower head shape too.

All the cardboard layers were then stuck together and onto the blank canvas using PVA/craft glue, once the glue had dried I then covered the cardboard design with modroc (plaster of Paris impregnated bandages) which again was left to dry before I could start painting it with acrylic paints.

Originally I was going to make it a yellow daffodil but once I’d tried it I decided that the ‘Smaller Daffodil’ looked better yellow and that white and orange would be more effective with this ‘Medium Daffodil’. Once I had painted the stem green I painted the background a dark purple (as it’s a complimentary colour to the orange and green) and the dark colour should help the white stand out better. However once it had dried I felt like it wasn’t quite working so I tried adding the lighter colour to help it all pop and was happy with the result.

The finished piece is available to buy now from my etsy shop.

Don’t forget to get 10% off in my etsy shop by getting the discount code here.

etsy.com/uk/shop/purplefayeshop

Contact me here.

 

Till next time.

Take care.

Purple Faye x

purplefaye.co.uk