How artist Purple Faye made the ‘Baby George’ 3D acrylic painting

Last year I had the pleasure of making a 3D acrylic painting of 3 month old baby George.

George’s father, Alex, contacted me to make it for his wife, Mellissa, for her 30th birthday. Because Mellissa is blind Alex wanted me to make him one of my 3D acrylic paintings because it would be tactile for her to touch and experience rather than a flat photograph.

He sent me a selection of photographs before deciding, after some discussions with me on which would make a good 3D acrylic painting, on the one that he’d like me to work from.

The one he chose actually ended up being a digital photo taken of a physical photo in a frame, which could have been problematic in terms of reflections and colour distortions but thankfully it wasn’t too bad.

So here is how I made it starting by drawing it directly onto the cardboard so I could cut it out and make it 3D by layering the cardboard up. Once the cardboard layers were stuck on the blank canvas I could then apply the modroc (bandages with plaster of Paris in) and leave it to dry. I then painted it with acrylic paints.

If you would like me to make you a 3D acrylic painting the same size as ‘Baby George’ (12x16inches approx 305x406mm) for only £100 get in touch as this offer is available for a limited time only.

Any questions please ask.

You can be a Purple Faye VIP by joining up here

Till next time.

Take care.

Purple Faye x

PurpleFaye.co.uk

How artist Purple Faye made Alex’s ‘Targaryen Sigil’ (from Game of Thrones) 3D acrylic painting

Alex asked me if I’d be able to make him a 3D acrylic painting of the Targaryen Sigil from Game of Thrones. I said that it would be fiddly but yeah I’d be able to make it for him. This shows how I did it (it was as fiddle as I was expecting it to be but I enjoyed the challenge)

If you’d like me to make you a 3D acrylic painting then get in touch.

With this one being so fiddly I jumped straight in with cutting the design out of cardboard using a craft knife, rather than by drawing it all out first like I usually do, this was mainly to speed up the process.

You can see in the photos how I used a combination of print outs and having the image on a tablet to work from to make sure that I got everything in the right place.

I used one layer of thick cardboard to make the image stick out but not too much, giving it a more subtle embossed look.

Once the cardboard was all cut out and positioned on the canvas I then stuck it down and began the equally fiddly job of putting the modroc (bandages with plaster of Paris in) on top.

Once everything was covered and all the gaps were filled I let the modroc dry before I could then begin painting it with acrylic paints.

The first coat of paint was the easiest stage of the whole process as it was just a black base coat all over, in all the nooks and crannies.

Then once that had dried I could start painting in the red dragon and all the extra black and white details before finishing it off by painting in the white writing.

As I said at the start I knew this was going to be a challenging commission because it was so fiddly, so when I finished it I was pleased with the outcome and was even more pleased that Alex was so complimentary about it once he had seen it too.

If you’d like me to make you a 3D acrylic painting then get in touch.

Take care.

Till next time.

purplefaye.co.uk

How artist Purple Faye made the ‘Medium Daffodil’ 3D acrylic painting

Here’s how I made my ‘Medium Daffodil’ 3D acrylic painting. (I also made the ‘Smaller Daffodil’ at the same time as I made this, which you can see the making of in a separate blog post here.)

I started by getting a cardboard box and cutting out a piece that was roughly the same size as the blank canvas I was going to use. I then drew the daffodil design freehand onto the cardboard, using some photographs as a reference.

Once the drawing was complete I cut out all along the outside of the main daffodil shape and all around the head of the flower. I then placed the stem shape onto the blank canvas and laid the flower head shape on top of it so that the two overlapped. I created a more 3D effect by wedging some offcuts of cardboard underneath one side of the flower head shape and made a ring shape to go in the middle of the flower head shape too.

All the cardboard layers were then stuck together and onto the blank canvas using PVA/craft glue, once the glue had dried I then covered the cardboard design with modroc (plaster of Paris impregnated bandages) which again was left to dry before I could start painting it with acrylic paints.

Originally I was going to make it a yellow daffodil but once I’d tried it I decided that the ‘Smaller Daffodil’ looked better yellow and that white and orange would be more effective with this ‘Medium Daffodil’. Once I had painted the stem green I painted the background a dark purple (as it’s a complimentary colour to the orange and green) and the dark colour should help the white stand out better. However once it had dried I felt like it wasn’t quite working so I tried adding the lighter colour to help it all pop and was happy with the result.

The finished piece is available to buy now from my etsy shop.

Don’t forget to get 10% off in my etsy shop by getting the discount code here.

etsy.com/uk/shop/purplefayeshop

Contact me here.

 

Till next time.

Take care.

Purple Faye x

purplefaye.co.uk